An O2 vegan Exclusive Recipe!!!!!!
Yield: one 6 inch cake that serves 6-8 [or 24 cupcakes or 48 mini-cupcakes]
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder (finely ground espresso beans)
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup cold water
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons molasses (some kind lighter than blackstrap)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional – for dusting the top)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease (vegan “butter”) and flour a 6-inch cake pan [or two 12-cup muffin pans, or four 12-cup mini-muffin pans].
- In a medium bowl mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder and chocolate chips.
- In another bowl whisk together water, oil, vanilla extract, and molasses.
- Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon until batter is smooth and homogeneous.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan [cupcake tins] and bake until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the middle, about 60-65 minutes [20-25 for cupcake, or 10-12 for mini-cupcakes].
- Let cool for an hour [5 – 15 minutes for cupcakes] and invert and cool on a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with a dusting of powdered sugar and serve at room temperature.
- Cake may be stored in an airtight container for 2 days.