Artichoke Heart Scampi
This is one of my favorite recipes. I make it often and you can add different veggies for color and brightness.
- 2 Tb Earth Balance or other vegan margarine
- 2 Tb olive oil
- up to 8 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped (I use a lot and the garlic sweetens as you cook it)
- 1 can artichoke hearts, chopped (I prefer chopped small but some people like bigger chunks)
- 1 cup chopped baby spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup no-chicken broth (you could also substitute some of the broth with white wine if you like that flavor)
- salt, to taste (about 1 tsp)
- sliced cherry tomatoes or small chopped red pepper (optional, for color)
- 1/2 pound linguine (FYI-dried pasta is not made with eggs but fresh is)
- In a heavy skillet (I use cast iron), melt margarine and olive oil on low-med low heat
- Add garlic to skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes. Do not allow to brown just soften
- Add artichoke hearts; cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add spinach and parsley; cook for 5 minutes
- Add lemon juice and broth/wine; add salt to taste
- Add tomatoes or red pepper, if using; cook sauce for 5 or so more minutes.
- Cook linguine for 2 minutes less than done. Drain and add to pan with sauce and finish cooking the pasta in the sauce, about 2-3 minutes.
Serve with a handful of fresh chopped parsley. I sprinkle mine with a little nutritional yeast as well. It gives it a bit of a cheesy flavor but it is totally yummy without.