So you may not feel like baking right now, but when you do, make these. We held a vegan baking contest a while back and these won hands down. They are the creation of my good friend Missy D’Arcy from NH. Here is her winning recipe
Vegan Apple Brownies
- 1/2 cup non-hydrogenated margarine (Earth Balance is the best)
- 1 cup natural sugar (turbinado)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
- 2 medium apples, pared, cored and chopped fine (I use Macs or Granny Smith)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cream margarine. Gradually add sugar, then applesauce and mix until creamy.
- Mix in apples and walnuts.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Stir dry ingredients lightly into apple mixture.
- Turn into greased 7×11 pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- Place on wire rack to cool, cut into bars.